Thursday, November 6, 2014

Weezer - Blue Album

One of the reasons I love Weezer so much is because they are Geeks, Nerds, whatever word you want to use to describe the brainy type. Then they made it big. I mean really huge, with only one album, while maintaining their artistic dignity.

It's not a fast album, nor is it heav. It basically sounds like you'd expect a rock band formed by the male cast of Big Bang Theory to sound, if they were all talented musicians and could sing. However, you can find everything you are looking for on this album. It does get hard, and it does get heavy, and it gets groovy, plus sexy, it swings, and it bops. It's a solid album, with a lot of personal appeal.

The album kicks off with My Name Is Jonas which is a good starter. Wouldn't have been my first choice, but it works all the same. It comes on quick and hits you and then pulls you along. It does the job.

I love No One Else. I love every part of this song, not my mentality entirely, but it's really such a great and singable song. "My girl's got a big mouth / With which she blabbers a lot / She laughs at most everything / Whether it's funny or not / And if you see her / Tell her it's over now / I want a girl who will laugh for no one else / When I'm away she puts her makeup on the shelf / When I'm away she never leaves the house / I want a girl who laughs for no one else / My girl's got eyeballs / In the back of her head / She looks around and around / You know it makes me sad to see her like that / Please don't believe her - she says that for anyone / And if you see her / Tell her it's a hey hey hey hey / I want a girl who will laugh for no one else / When I'm away she puts her makeup on the shelf / When I'm away she never leaves the house / I want a girl who laughs for no one else / And if you see her / Tell her it's over now / And if you see her / Tell her it's over now / And if you watch her go (watch her go) / Watch her, watch her, watch her, watch her! / I want a girl who will laugh for no one else / When I'm away she puts her makeup on the shelf / When I'm away she never leaves the house / I want a girl who laughs for no one else, no one else ". In fact this actually might be my favourite song from this album. It's got a great Punk like vibe to the music and the vocals bring it to a world of your late 50's early 60's Rock 'N Roll. It really just works on so many levels for me.

The World Has Turned And Left Me Here is an album filler to me. The Emos would argue with me, and same with those preppy hipsters who would most likely get on board with them as well, but I hold strong to my opinion.

Buddy Holly was the song that introduced me to Weezer. Their Happy Days video they made was so amazing and awesomely done, especially for that time period, that it's still one of my favourite videos of all time. Not to mention that you can tell that it could easily be cranked into a heavy ass song without even trying. Instead they give it a sound and flair that matches the video almost perfectly.

Undone - The Sweater Song is the perfect counter point to the last song. This is all light one up, sit back, and relax. This is a really great tune and I love the extra production put into it to help tell the story. This is the kind of song that I would have loved to have gotten Frank Zappa's opinion on, because I feel a lot of influence from him here.

I like Surf Wax America, but it's filler. It's really solid and pretty fun, but only when listening to the album.

Yet another song I love. Say It Ain't So is so sexy, and slinky, and tender, and yet has a great hard chorus that adds some great juxtiposition. This is one of those songs that you know was close to at least one of the members of the band. Probably started as a poem, and then was converted into a song.

In The Garage is all lyrics to me, and switch garage to basement. Other lyrics are easily interchangable, but it's the point behind the song. "I've got a Dungeon Master's Guide / I've got a 12-sided die / I've got Kitty Pryde / And Nightcrawler too / Waiting there for me / Yes I do, I do / I've got posters on the wall / My favorite rock group KISS / I've got Ace Frehley / I've got Peter Criss / Waiting there for me / Yes I do, I do / I've got an electric guitar / I play my stupid songs / I write these stupid words / And I love every one / Waiting there for me / Yes I do, I do / In the garage / I feel safe / No one cares about my ways / In the garage / Where I belong / No one hears me sing this song / In the garage / In the garage / In the garage / I feel safe / No one cares about my ways / In the garage / Where I belong / No one hears me sing this song / In the garage / I feel safe / No one laughs about my ways / In the garage / Where I belong / No one hears me / No one hears me / No one hears me / No one hears me / No one hears me sing this song". Basically this song is the perfect capturing of what the teenage years were like for me, and many of my friends.

I think Holiday is the only other song on the album I don't care for. It's too stiff, even though it's supposed to be about going on Holiday, and it has a swing groove. There's some good arranging on this song, and it's well written and played, I just have no use for it.

Only In Dreams closes off the album like a nice little lullaby, sure it has heavy parts, but it's still like a lullaby. It makes sense as the last track, but I think they should have gone with something stronger.

I have no complaints about this album as a whole. I think it's well put together, and it shows the band in a very positive light. This is one of those albums that any band could be proud of, if it was their first major label release.

8/10 - content

7/10 - production

9/10 - personal bias

No comments:

Post a Comment