Thursday, June 6, 2013

Type O Negative - The Least Worst Of

It was odd to see that I've been doing these reviews for over a year now, and yet hadn't written a single Type O Negative review. I've listened to a lot of it in the last year, and made sure to get a regular fix, but not a single review written. So now I give you Type O Negative's The Least Worst Of, and it's great place to start.

If you've never picked up a Type O album this is a great place to start, and if you already have a couple of this Goth band's albums, it's still worth picking this one up. There are previously unreleased tracks which are worth having, alternate versions that are interesting, and edits of longer tracks, that are more radio and listener friendly. In fact there is only one song that appears in the same form as the original album release.

I feel a need to mention that this band has some of the greatest song names. Take the opening title for example. The Misinterpretation of Silence and Its Disastrous Consequences (Wombs and Tombs mix) is 0:39 of silence used to open the album. It's even listed as a remix which would make it different from the original version, which can be found on Slow Deep and Hard. You ask why would they open an album like this, because it's funny. There's a certain humour about the band.

As I've already mentioned and I'll mention many more times, many of these songs are previously unreleased edits, Everyone I Love Is Dead is no exception. I don't listen to World Coming Down all that often, so I couldn't exactly tell you what the difference is. However, this is a great example of Peter Steele's dark and brooding persona. This song is a shining example of everything that is a-typically Goth.

The song that got me into Type O Negative is Black No.1 (Little Miss Scare-All). I had never heard anything like it before and it totally turned me on. I'm not so fond of this way too short version. At 4:34 is pales in comparison to the original epic. They cut whole movements out of this one, that just make the song magical. I would highly suggest the full length version on Bloody Kisses over this one. I'm also not happy about this being a radio friendly edit. I lived for the quiet little "fucking the dead" line. I know, I'm a twisted little sick thing.

It's Never Enough starts up as a brutal funeral durge but then quickly shifts into a full fledge bad ass Rock track, right down to the mix of rapid fire riffing and big open airy chords. This is a track that didn't make it onto the World Coming Down album, and that's a shame for that album, but great for this one. This is one of those songs that has everything you want to hear from this band.

Love You to Death is a little more somberly Goth than I like. Also of all the songs to come from October Rust, this wouldn't have been one of my choices.

My very first introduction to Type O Negative was a cover of the song Black Sabbath which originally appeared on the Black Sabbath tribute Nativity in Black, which I've reviewed in the past. This version featured is Black Sabbath (From the Satanic Perspective) which has Peter Steele performing his own lyrics, which are from the perspective of Lucifer. "Who is she that kneels - so respectfully before me / A virgin of snow white - purity / Do not fear - my fortunate one / Let us consummate our igneous union / Ave ave satanas / Ave ave satanas / Ave ave satanas / Ave ave satanas / I am the shadow - with the eyes, eyes of fire / I will fulfill your every - hellish desire / Come sit on this throne - here beside me and be mine / And we'll watch the flames get higher and higher and higher and / higher... / Ave ave satanas / Ave ave satanas / Ave ave satanas Ave ave satanas / This is just the start dear friends / For i have come to claim revenge / My victims turning, running scared / You people better go and beware / Your weak god can not help you now / Come, we will play in the fire / Worship the sun / Worship no one / Worship the sun / Worship no one / Worship the sun / Worship no one". I like what he did here, and how the song almost becomes it's completely own song, instead of being a cover.

Christian Woman is yet another track that gets the hack and slash treatement. While there are some parts of the original I can understand cutting out, there are others that made no sense. This 4:25 version gives you the idea of what the song is about, but it doesn't give you what this song really is. This version sounds like a nice and polished version meant for the masses, instead of the spiritual sexual awakening that is the original track.

12 Black Rainbows was a b-side to the European single for Everything Dies. While I don't ever find myself wanting to listen to this song, I enjoy every second of it while it's on. This is one of those songs that just kind of sucks you in and keeps you locked in.

That's followed up by My Girlfriend's Girlfriend. How can you not love a song with the following lyrics. "Say "ah" / Say "ah". / It's no secret we're close / As sweaty velcro, / Like latex, fur and feathers / Stuck together / Now. / In their '62 'vette / Sharing one cigarette, / In a black light trance then / Go go dance / Then. / Go go trance / Then. / They keep me warm on cold nights / We must be quite a sight, / In our meat triangle / All tangled. / Wow. / My girlfriend's girlfriend / She looks like you, / My girlfriend's girlfriend / She's my girl too. / Her and me an her and she and me / An uncrowded couple / are we three? / Hey we don't care what people say, / When walking hand in hand down Kings Highway / Two for one today. / My girlfriend's girlfriend / She looks like you / My girlfriend's girlfriend / She's my girl too / My girlfriend's girlfriend / She looks like you / My girlfriend's girlfriend / She's my girl..." The fact that this is the Cheese Organ Mix, doesn't really make a difference. I do notice a difference and like the original better, but it's not that big of a deal.

Hey Pete (Pete's Ego Trip Version) is a cover of Hey Joe, as most people know as a Jimi Hendrix tune. Originally this song was only available as a track on The Origin of the Feces. Where it's presented as a live track, and only a snipit. Like the band decided to bust out a small jam during a live set. I was so happy when this full length version was made available. Kenny Hickey's guitar playing is mesmerising.

Everything Dies opens up really big and heavy with a huge chant of "Who likes vitamins? / I like vitamins!" then progresses into a somber standard from the band. It was because of songs like this that I tend to not listen to World Coming Down very often.

Cinnamon Girl (Depressed Mode Mix) is another time when I do notice the difference between this version and the original found on October Rust. The original is better. As for the Neil Young cover, this version doesn't do the original justice, but the October Rust version does. It's not the same song, but it's an honest cover.

Some songs are angry, and some songs are raging inferno's of hate filled brutality. Unsuccessfully Coping with the Natural Beauty of Infidelity has the distinct priviledge of being in the latter catagory, and having a wickedly cool title that actually forces you to think. Then there's also the 12:29 of non stop profanity that would make a trucker blush. Having your woman cheat on you can really mess with your head. I played this song live once with my close friend Drew as part of our music comedy group, and we were seconds away from causing an out break of estrogen rage. This song is not for everyone, but I love it. The arrangements, and the changes, and the passion, and the pain, and the pure raw honest emotion are just amazing. I feel it should be mentioned that this is the only track on this album that is in it's original release state. There are no edits, remixes or changes.

The album finishes with The Stay Out of My Dreams. This is a delightful little tongue in cheek number about how twisted some people's fantasies can get. At 8:15, this song is the perfect way to finish of the album, especially since it's also a previously unreleased studio recording, from the recording sessions of World Coming Down.

While this album isn't for everyone, It is a solid listen with some really great tracks, and is a solid buy for fans that have all the original studio albums, which is really important. My biggest complaint about this album is the way that Black No. 1 and Christian Woman were cut down from their original length, but I guess that had to be done to allow one of the previously unreleased tracks some space.

8/10 - content

8/10 - production

8/10 - personal bias

No comments:

Post a Comment