Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Ramones - Mondo Bizarro

I wouldn't say that the album's title is a true reflection of the music that's contained within, but I will say that Mondo Bizarro is a sketchy album, with an interesting underbelly. There are some really top notch Rock tracks on this album, as far as I'm concerned. There's also some completely useless album filler as well.

The album kicks off with Censorshit, which is a solid track musically. A bit typical for the band, but when the Ramones give it, they give it good.

The Job That Ate My Brain is more like a jangled train wreck, that makes me wonder how this band is able to still tap that awesome raw nerve of what Punk is really about.

Poison Heart is track three, but the first song on the album that catches my attention. This is one that sounds almost as if it was inspired by a band like The Cure or maybe even a little INXS. I know those words could get my ass kicked in some crowds, but fuck 'em. It made this song kick ass, and the lyrics are awesome. "No one ever thought this one would survive / Helpless child, gonna walk a drum beat behind / Lock you in a dream, never let you go / Never let you laugh or smile, not you. / Well, I just want to walk right out of this world, / 'Cause everybody has a poison heart / I just want to walk right out of this world, / 'Cause everybody has a poison heart. / Making friends with a homeless torn up man / He just kind of smiles, it really shakes me up. / There's danger on every corner but I'm okay / Walking down the street trying to forget yesterday. / Well, I just want to walk right out of this world, / 'Cause everybody has a poison heart. / I just want to walk right out of this world, / 'Cause everybody has a poison heart, / a poison heart, a poison heart, a poison heart ... yeah! / You know that life really takes its toll / And a poet's gut reaction is to search his very soul / So much damn confusion before my eyes, / But nothing seems to phase me and this one still survives. / I just want to walk right out of this world, / 'Cause everybody has a poison heart. / I just want to walk right out of this world, / 'Cause everybody has a poison heart, / Well, I just want to walk right out of this world, / 'Cause everybody has a poison heart. / a poison heart, a poison heart, a poison heart. / a poison heart, a poison heart, a poison heart." I could, see myself covering this one any day. I should also mention that this is a Ramones song that runs over four minutes.

Anxiety is a great follow up to the last track. It gets the album moving again and has the train rolling full speed down a set of rails designed by Tim Burton. This song captures and creates exactly what it tells you it's going to do.

Strength To Endure is a CJ Ramone sung tune. It's not bad, it's actually a really decent Sunset Strip Garage band demo.

It's Gonna Be Alright is an okay song. I can see why some people would like it, but I can go either way about it. I don't feel a need to skip it, but I don't feel a need to hear it either.

After that comes Take It As It Comes, a really blistering cover of The Doors classic. I still find it interesting to hear keyboards in a Ramones track, but when they are being supplied by the original Keyboardist, and the song's composer, that's cool. I do enjoy this cover and would suggest giving it a serious listen.

Main Man is another CJ track, but I like this one a lot more. This is some great Rock.

I think Tomorrow She Goes Away would have been a better track if done by a different band, and given a slightly different treatment.

There's something to be said about an upbeat sounding song, even if it's being performed by a Punk band. Then again the Ramones are allowed to do anything, because sometimes they create songs like I Won't let It Happen, which really is a good song.

Cabbies On Crack is really fucking awesome. It's nothing special, but at the same time it's pure and raw and just right for the soul. Also, a big hello to that guitar solo cranking it out in the background.

I don't mind Heidi Is A Headcase, but I don't feel any need to actually listen to it either.

The album ends with Touring, which is Surf Rock, delivered in a way that I've discovered only this band can do. It's a great way to end the album in one way, and in another I don't think there is any song that could actually close this album.

Since this album came as part of that four pack I've mentioned in other reviews, I don't mind owning it, and some of the songs will even end up on my Mp3 player. I never would have wanted to have paid full price for this album, though.

5/10 - content

7/10 - production

6/10 - personal bias

No comments:

Post a Comment