Thursday, May 23, 2013

Dethklok - The Dethalbum III

I love the cartoon Metalocalypse. It's Spinal Tap for the new generation of Metal fans. It's not my kind of Metal. I'm more of a Classic Metal fan. Bands like Black Sabbath and Deep Purple for example. However, my friend Julie hooked me up with the first three albums, so I figured why the hell not give them a good listen.

Julie said that III was her favourite album, my buddy Drew says II is his favourite album, and Andria says something about the show being stupid. She just hasn't watched it right, but that's not the point. The point is I opted to review The Dethalbum III first based purely on the fact that it was the shortest album at first glance. It's also the album I've listened to the most at this point, but that's due to my Mp3 player displaying four albums, and my getting confused. That's a different story for my review of the first Dethklock album.

The Dethalbum III opens with I Ejaculate Fire. With a title like that you already know this album is Metal. Dethklok is the only band I can think of that could honestly get away with a song like this. This is a brutal song. Also it sets the tone for the album very well.

Next Up is Crush The Industry. This is your pretty standard Death Metal kind of track. It might be Black Metal, I'm not really sure. It's some type of typical Metal, that involves playing fast, scream growling into a microphone, and almost no bass. After that comes Andromeda which has a bitching solo that starts just after the two minute marker. Other than that you can take what I said in the previous song and put it to this one.

The Galaxy is the first song on the album that really catches my attention. The opening, suits the title perfectly. While I don't care for the lyrical delivery on the song, it mixes in so well with the music. I mean this song does one thing I love from music, it breathes. But even more importantly, this song is epic. I dig the lyrics too. "Darkness (Darkness) / The end of days / Planets (Planets) / Kinetic haze / Arrive (Arrive) / The last dimension / Reject (Reject) / the apprehension / Convicted (Convicted) / We don't look back / The storm (The storm) / Electric black / This war (This war) / is formed in vengeance / The story (the story) / Has been predicted / We are the dark and the light! / We have the power of time! / We are the serpents intertwined! / The galaxy will unite! / Perfect liars, promising us / Can't stop the beast, we got no other choice (Got no other choice) / Unforgiving soulless nature / It's not gonna tame us, gonna beat him (Gonna beat him) / Not gonna stop reaping (Stop reaping) / The prize is deth (The prize is deth) / We made the pact when we took our first breath (When we took our first breath) / Fearless (Fearless) / This is our quest (This is our quest) / That leads me on, man the star-gates! (Star-gates!) / Star-gates! (Star-gates!) / GO! / We are the dark and the light! (We are the dark and the light) / We have the power of time! (We have the power of time) / We are the serpents intertwined! (We are the serpents intertwined) / The galaxy will unite! (The galaxy will unite) / This is the beginning! / This is the beginning! / This is the beginning! / This is the beginning! / This is the beginning! / This is the beginning! / This is the beginning! / Its all starting NOW! / This is the beginning! / This is the beginning! / This is the beginning! / This is the beginning! / This is the beginning! / This is the beginning! / This is the beginning! / IT'S ALL STARTING NOW!!! / IT'S ALL STARTING NOW!!! / IT'S ALL STARTING NOW!!! / IT'S ALL STARTING NOW!!! / It's all starting now!"

Starved has me thinking of Pantera with Dimebag trying to do a solo like David Gilmour. That's a bit over simplified, but it sounds about right.

First off when a song is called Killstardo Ambominate you can't help but take notice. Secondly, you should be surprised when it sounds like some type of space monster, running on cosmic radiation, and pretty much leveling the solar system. This puppy is heavy, and vicious.

If I'm not paying attention I don't notice when the song switches to Ghostqueen, until I notice a clear difference in the music. I'm not sure how to describe this song, but the solo sort of reminds me of something you'd hear from Dragonforce, or something like that.

When a song is called Impeach God, you expect it to sound a certain way, and that's how this song sounds. While I know that the lyrical content is not for the Religious, I will say this is a pretty decent song. I could really see this one being on my Mp3 player for a long time.

Biological Warfair also sounds like a song with that title would sound like. In this case I'm not such a big fan. I find this very atypical Metal. This could easily be considered like a Slayer track to the non casual listener.

Skyhunter is okay, for those into the music. For me it's another well played guitar track with way too much double bass drum. My favourite song on the album is The Hammer. It has some killer riffs and reminds me of mid to late seventies Black Sabbath, if they had over used the double bass drum. Maybe even Dio era. This is one of those songs that I would want an open stretch of highway, and some good old pure American Muscle car that just wants to roar.

The album ends with Rejoin. This isn't a bad track. It's actually pretty good for the type of Metal it represents. I could see me listening to this one on it's own over time.

While I'm not a huge fan of the music genre, because a lot of it starts sounding pretty basic to me, I do enjoy some of the songs on their own, without all of the awesome animation surrounding them, that you get from the cartoon.

7/10 - content

7/10 - production

6/10 - personal bias

No comments:

Post a Comment