Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Rob Zombie - Venomous Rat Regeneration Vendor

Do you like Rob Zombie? Do you like a blend of boot stomping Heavy Metal, and labido pumping Rock N' Roll? Then you should like Venomous Rat Regeneration Vendor, because this is a Rob Zombie album through and through.

This album contains numerous tracks that fit into one of the two catagories. The songs are either Metal or Rock, and either way are all heavy.

The thing about Venomous Rat Regeneration Vendor is that it's a little more back to the basics. The last couple of albums had general themes to the instrumentation. Educated Horses, for example, was a pure Hard Rock album, that was like listening to a band out of the seventies with modern production. Hellbilly Deluxe II, on the other hand, had a heavy Surf Rock edge to it. I find that if I were to compare this to another Zombie album, the first one that would come to mind would be Sinister Urge.

If I were to have picked the opening track for this album it wouldn't have been Teenage Nosferatu Pussy. This is a very typical sounding Rob Zombie song. Hell, it's a pretty standard White Zombie song. Still good, still rockin', but just a little stock for this Horror master.

Dead City Radio And The New Gods Of Supertown was the single that Mr. Zombie decided to release on the internet. At first listen I was like this is pretty decent. It's a great Modern Rock song. After repeat listenings, this song just makes me want to rock that much more. Personally I would have started the album with this one. This song is going to be a new live hit and standard that the crowds will be listening to for years.

One thing I've gotten used to over the years is how Rob slowly phased out his industrial sounds, with the exception of the voice samplesl. But it's right front and centre at the beginning of Revelation Revolution. I'm not going to bitch about it either. It works as a lead in to this song, which is not an industrial song.

I'm sure I've mentioned this before, but I'm a sucker for sitar, or sitar sounding guitar work, which means I instantly fell in love with Theme For The Rat Vendor. A nice short little instrumental piece that's awesome.

Once you wrap your mind around Ging Gang Gong De Do Gong De Laga Raga as a song title, you can get into the song that this is. Which is a kick ass heavy rock song that's clearly influenced by hits from the sixties that weren't afraid to use incoherent words or mono-syllable strings to convey emotion and rhythmic strings of their own.

Rock And Roll (In A Black Hole) is funky and fun, lyrically there really isn't much to this song, but that's the point. ' "(Glorious creatures of our future, to be induced by genetic manipulation) / A number one said he wins fight / A number two said "It's a Saturday night" / A number three said "Come look at the whore" / A number four said "Please, give me some more" / You gotta, gotta open your mind, girl / You gotta, gotta open your mind, girl / You gotta, gotta open your mind, girl / You gotta, gotta open your mind, girl / A number five said he Captain Kirk / A number six said "I want to hurt you, jerk" / A number seven said "I'm Peeping Tom" / A number eight said "Let's drop the bomb" / (You may think you're normal, but you are all product of mutation. / You may think you're normal, but you are all product of mutation.) / We're all dancing in a black hole / When all we wanna do is rock and roll / We're all dancing in a black hole / When all we wanna do is rock and roll / We're all dancing in a black hole / When all we wanna do is rock and roll / We're all dancing in a black hole / When all we wanna do is rock and roll / A number one said "Let's get this right" / A number two said "You're outta sight" / A number three said "Go wipe down the door" / A number four said "Hey, this is war" / You gotta, gotta open your mind, girl / You gotta, gotta open your mind, girl / You gotta, gotta open your mind, girl / You gotta, gotta open your mind, girl / A number five said he Captain Kirk / A number six said "I gotta get to work" / A number seven said "Go fuck the prom" / A number eight said "Hey, cherry bomb" '. Then it just repeats the chorus a couple of more time.

Behold, The Pretty Filthy Creatures! is a pretty typical Zombie song. Really awesome to listen to all the same.

I'm not sure how I feel about White Trash Freaks, but mainly because I'm not sure if this song is celebrating or condemning the white trash behaviour. The music makes it sound like a celebration, but the lyrics are more like a condemnation of those with a lesser etiquette.

I'm going to be honest with you. The first time I listened to this CD it was only eleven in the morning at the latest. I was bopping my head with the heavy tunes, but really I was just waiting. When I saw that Rob Zombie was doing We're An American Band on this album I was so psyched. I love the original, and Zombie does awesome covers. When the song starts up I'm like, "Cool intro." Then the song gets going and somewhere between eleven and noon, my head was banging, my fist was pumping, and my insides were screaming, "Yes! Yes! Yes!" Thank you Rob.

Lucifer Rining is total White Zombie Thunderkiss '65 to me. Does this song actually sound like that? Well sort of. It's an okay song, but probably the one I care the least for on this album. It's the one stock like song on the album I don't have a use for.

The Girl Who Loved The Monsters is pure Heavy Metal. It's big, bad, and scary as hell to those that can't cope with the monters.

Trade In Your Guns For A Coffin is really a good way to close the album. This is a party song that will have the ladies shaking their booties in house parties, Go-Go dancing in Goth bars, and flailing their hair in classic full metal windmills during a concert. This is just a great happy feeling closer. Different compared to most Rob Zombie albums and that's cool with me.

Like I said this is a Rob Zombie album, and there are some tracks on here that will be on my CD player for years, as part of my own make shift greatest hits, and other tracks that I consider album fillers, just because they are the same old Rob Zombie tracks. Still awesome, but typical for him.

7/10 - content

8/10 - production

8/10 - personal bias

No comments:

Post a Comment