Monday, April 1, 2013

Mindy McCready - Ten Thousand Angels

I don't know Mindy McCready, except as a musician that the Editor owned a couple of CD's from. I'm not much of a fan of Country.

However, while trying to figure out what reviews I wanted to do next, I sorted out a collection of discs, that Drew burned for me to check out, or lent me, as well as one or two that were Andria's. She sometimes buys girly albums, because that's what girls do. But she's also the one that bought Iron Maiden's Dance Of Death in this house, so you better recognize.

Either way I figure I would throw in a Mindy McCready, and the 1996 release Ten Thousand Angels was the one out of two selections I picked.

The album opens with the title track. Musically this is pretty typical of Girl Pop Country. Lyrically, it's a girl asking for the strength to stand up and say no to her demons. If you are into that semi-inspirational kind of Country this is a good song for you. Otherwise this one does little for me.

Now it get's really funny, when my computer stops wanting to play the CD, and it can't get past the first song without skipping itself into submission. Which means I have to put it on the main stereo to finsish this review. D'oh.

Which brings us to the song that made her famous to the party girls. I'm sure this song is probably back in full string in the right bar. Guys Do It All The Time, is very typical musically. Nothing too special. Lyrically it's pretty much a call to equality. It's a Country girl insisting she has the right to act just as badly as a guy. "Got in this morning at 4 AM / Your as mad as you can be / Well I was drinking and talking / And you know how that goes / Time just slipped away from me / By the time I knew what time it was / It was to late to call home / Stop carrying on and acting like a child / I wasn't doing anything wrong / Guys do it all the time / And you expect us to understand / When the shoe's on the other foot / You know that's when it hits the fan / Get over it honey life's a two way street / Or you won't be a man of mine / So I had some beers with the girls last night / Guys do it all the time / I know I left my clothes all over the place / And I took your twenty bucks / No I didn't get the front yard cut / Cause I had to wash my truck / Will you bring me a cold one baby / Turn on the TV / We'll talk about this later / There's a ballgame I wanna see / Guys do it all the time / And you expect us to understand / When the shoe's on the other foot / You know that's when it hits the fan / Get over it honey life's a two way street / Or you won't be a man of mine / So I had some beers with the girls last night / Guys do it all the time / You look like you just took / A long look in the mirror / Tell me baby if things don't look / A whole lot clearer, ooh / Get over it honey life's a two way street / Or you won't be a man of mine / So I had some beers with the girls last night / Guys do it all the time / Yeah guys do it / Yeah guys do it / All the time, all the time / Yeah guys do it / Yeah guys do it / All the time" I'm sure every guy in the bar loves when this song comes on.

All That I Am actually catches my attention for a few seconds. There's this cool slinky kind of sound, when the song is at it's quietest, but then it turns into a basic song, that fits right in on this album. I would have rathered it stayed more with how it starteted. Would have made a track worth listening to.

See the problem I have with this album, is that it's directed toward a very specific market. Take the next song for example. Maybe He'll Notice Her Now is totally geared towards a female's fantasy. I don't know a guy that would sit there and even notice this song. Except for it being a pretty girl song. It's also got a duet kind of feel to it, for extra effect.

I'm feeling a bit like I'm growing a vagina as I get to A Girl's Gotta Do (What A Girl's Gotta Do). It's another barn stomping dance number, that'll have all the girls dancing, and acting a bit naughty.

Okay, we're back to a mellower number with Have A Nice Day, and this seems to be the longest song on the album. This would be Mindy McCready's version of an epic song. I do like the lap steel work, it adds a cool dynamic. It's a bit basic, but this is music about the vocalist, not the instrumentation.

The problem I have with this album, is how cookie cutter these songs sound. Mindy has made it clear to me that she has two modes. The first is love lorne. The second is party girl, which she tells you outright in It Ain't A Party. This song actually has a small bit of musical jamming in it that's cool to hear. It doesn't last long, and that's a shame, but it's good while it's there.

So, now it's back to another atypical slow track. Without Love is just another love song. This is cat nip for girls. I get that. This song is ooey, gooey love dripping out of every seam. But, I'd seriously like to return my ovaries and have my balls put back in please.

Tell Me Something I Don't Know is yet another love song. Whatever. If you pay attention to the lap steel it's not bad.

Breakin' It sounds a little Hawaiin, a little Spanish, a lot love lorne, and really a decent album closer.

To me the biggest problem with this album is the lack of instrumental expression. Yes, on some tracks the lap steel is cool, or maybe some really kickin' harmonic playing, but not enough to get me all serious.

I will say that this is pretty much the perfect Country Girl Pop album, turned out buy the corporate machine. Mindy McCready has a decent enough voice, that's it. She sings, and does it well, and someone else does the rest. This is a successful product for mass consumption.

According to this album it took my penis away for no more than 35:33. That's a bright side that the Editor pointed out to me.

8/10 - content

7/10 - production

6/10 - personal bias

No comments:

Post a Comment