Friday, April 12, 2013

Kiss - MTV Unplugged

The album opens with Comin' Home. This is not a song I'm all that familiar with, and I can understand why. While the guitar work sounds pretty damn kick ass, over all I'm not all that impressed with it.

I have to say that an accoustic version of Plaster Caster was not expected, but totally appreciated. I know this is one of those songs that women's rights activists bitch about, but I love it. It's got some great low end, the guitars are fun and energetic, and on this version Bruce Kulick really rips it up.

Goin' Blind is a perfect addition to this accoustic set. It sounds like it should be here, and it's very beautiful. Which is a contrast to the next track Do You Love Me. Not a song you'd expect to hear on here, and it probably could have been left out. After that is Domino. This is one of those songs that's meant for fun, and you can't take too serious. That being said I love to perform this for karaoke purposes. I think the accoustic performance on here is fantastic, and that Bruce Kulick's solo is kick ass.

Sure Know Something is pretty damn sexy sounding on here. This is one of the few songs I only know from this album. I have never really felt a need to pick up the Dynasty album for myself.

By the time you get to track seven, A World Without Heroes, you can clearly tell there's more than just a bit of a country flair to this album. Sure it's accoustic, and that will lend to a bit of that sound, but when you also factor in Bruce's lead style, with the rhythm section, it's more than clear. I will say that Gene's vocals are really good on this track.

I have always dug the song Rock Bottom and the accoustic treatment done on here is really cool, especially the intro. Once you get into the body of the song, it's still impressive, and yet another cool solo. Nothing fancy, but very well suited.

I'm not a fan of See You Tonight. It's okay if you like Bubble Gum Pop Rock, but it doesn't do much for me.

I do love Paul Stanley's vocal delivery on I Still Love You, it's what has always made the song for me. As for the version on here, it's a pretty natural fit. Also the solo is totally sexy. Actually, everything about this version is sexy.

The last song on the album to feature Gene Simmons, Paul Stanley, Eric Singer, and Bruce Kulick exclusively is Everytime I Look At You. After that we get into what would become the reunion era of Kiss. It's a sad good bye of sorts. I do like the strings on it, but it's such a typical accoustic kind of song to finish with.

First we are treated to 2,000 Man with Ace Frehley on vocals, when the guests start coming out. This is a Rolling Stones cover, and I don't mind the version on this album. It's fun, and enjoyable. Also Peter Criss makes his first appearance on this song as well.

Some little factoids to point out at this point, are that this show is the only time that Criss, Frehley, Simmons, Stanley, Kulick and Singer appear on stage together at the same time in Kisstory. As well as the only time that the original line-up performed publicly without their trademark make-up on.

Now, knowing that Criss is there, and that this is an accoustic album, it's only obvious that Beth is going to get played. This version of the song is killer. It's just the band, all three guitarists, and the bassist playing this song, and they do it well. No extra strings, or piano, or any other fluff, just the boys in the band.

Nothin' To Lose has two unique features to it. The first is that the two lead vocals are performed by both drummers, Criss and Singer, also this is the only time that Singer is featured as a lead vocalist on a Kiss album. Other than that, I don't find anything overly special about this song.

The album closes with powerful version of Rock And Roll All Nite. This has all the original members except for Stanley on lead vocals, and a great double drum thundering. However, it is Rock And Roll All Nite, so if you've heard it once you heard it a million times, even if one of those times is accoustic.

While I'm not overly huge on much of this album, I think that it was the right album for Kiss to do at the time and I'm glad they did. The few tracks I really like on here, I really like, and the others are at least enjoyable. This is a unique piece of Kiss history, and probably one of the last albums before they turned back into caricatures of themselves.

If you are a Kiss fan and don't have this album, you should maybe look at checking it out for yourself. If you are into accoustic albums, you may want to check this out as well, because it is decent. However, if you don't like Kiss then you should stay away from this album, because it is a Kiss album.

7/10 - content

7/10 - production

7/10 - personal bias

No comments:

Post a Comment