Monday, April 8, 2013

Black Sabbath - Reunion

I remember when Black Sabbath Reunion came out. I don't think I picked it up on release day, but it was probably close to. I remember talking to Mike at Dr. Disc and him saying that it was a basic Sabbath album, and nothing really special. To some degree I think he had a point. When I listen to it now it doesn't hold the same awe and wonder it had held when I first picked it up. Especially the two songs that were new at the time. One of them I still enjoy but not the same as I once had.

There are two problems with this album I find. The first is that all the live songs could be considered standard fare from Black Sabbath. With the exception of Dirty Women I knew every song on the live set, and while some songs are great to hear, others are not.

Please don't get the wrong idea. This is an awesome live recording of the original Black Sabbath line up. It's the best one I have ever heard.

The second problem with this album is that it sounds too much like Ozzy was trying too much to run the show like he did when solo, and while that's cool sometimes, it's not always needed. The way he tries to lead the crowd during instrumental parts I sometimes find insulting. But I'll get more into that when needed later.

The album opens with War Pigs. This is the perfect warm up song for any band doing a live set. You get the crowd engaged, the band can loosen up with ease. Then you "rock out". You open up some insane playing and rip it up.

After that it's on to Behind The Wall Of Sleep which is some serious Blues dripping Metal. If I had to guess Ozzy had this one put early in the set, because it wasn't really his and he didn't really want to do it in the first place.

I also think this is why N.I.B. is so early in the set. I mean maybe it's just me, but isn't this one of the greatest Black Sabbath songs? Geezer Butler rips it up on the bass, Tony Iommi lets loose on the guitar, and Bill Ward keeps them all together. Ozzy even uses this track to introduce the band, and is then joined on stage by a member of the audience at that point. Something that is great when captured on a live recording. Sadly, I don't think that that man will remember, he sounded like he was under the spirits.

Next up is one of my personal favourites, Fairies Wear Boots. I'm surprised that they played it during the show, do to political correctness and all that bullshit. On the other hand this is Black Sabbath and they will play what they please.

I have no clue why Ozzy felt the need to keep chanting "Heavy!" during Electric Funeral. However, to hear the band play this one is awesome. Bill Ward, despite suffering a heart attack not long before the show, really kicks it out big time on this song.

By the time you get to Sweet Leaf, you'll notice I have a reoccurring issue with the live show and it's Ozzy's over use of the mic. I know that there's not a lot for him to do during the solos or instrumentals, but there is no need to constantly work the crowd.

By the time I get to Spiral Architect I notice that the vocals sound like they are too far forward in the mix. I notice this happens when the stereo's volume is low with this album. It may have something to do with the effect Iommi uses on his guitar, I don't know exactly. All I know is Ozzy is too loud in the mix.

Things sound much better for Into The Void. I personally don't mind this song, but it's not a song that would be on my need to hear list.

Anyone that has half a brain knows what Snowblind is about, unless they are a little young. That being said, we don't need Ozzy rubbing our noses in the cocaine. I find he feels the need to say the word much more than it had appearred on the original album.

All the bad mouthing Ozzy aside, the first disc on the album is a great start to the concert. I do enjoy putting it on, sitting back, and imagining that I am there. The sound really lends to that vibe, and it's great.

The second disc kicks off with Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, which works perfectly for me. I love this song, and this version isn't bad either.

It's really cool to here Iommi bust out Orchid before launching into Lord Of This World, but there was no need for Ozzy's thanking him for the solo. It almost sounds like Ozzy is cutting him off to me. Other than that it's a live version of a classic track.

I had never heard Dirty Women, prior to picking up this album, so I had no basis for comparison. However, based just on this version I don't care for the song.

Ozzy explains the story of the name Black Sabbath to open the song of the same name. I do enjoy this version of the song, but I have heard better versions that are better.

Iron Man begins the way you would expect it to. Ozzy works the crowd into a frenzy while Bill Ward works the bass drum. Then Iommi launches into the guitar parts and it takes off. The song is on it's way. This is the song we all know so well, done well live. But it's nothing special.

Children Of The Grave is my favourite Black Sabbath song. I would have love to have heard the Embryo intro live, but one awesome solo intro per album I guess. I love listening to Iommi go at this song. This version does it real justice.

One of the best parts about this album is you get 16 live tracks which average close to six minutes in length each, and you barely notice it. Even cooler is that the live set finishes with the shortest track, coming in at 4:28, and it's Paranoid, so you know a good chunk of that time is pandering to the crowd. They use this song to it's fullest extent to close down the show, and it's great to hear. This may be one of the cooler live versions I've heard of this song.

The concert itself is really awesome to crank up and listen to. It's nice to hear that captured piece of music history. Especially since it seems clear that the original line-up will never be recorded live again. As for the two "new at the time" Black Sabbath songs, well it's hard to say.

Psycho Man is a bit stock for Black Sabbath. In fact it sounds a bit more like an Ozzy song than a Sabbath tune. This song wouldn't be on any of my best of lists, but it's a decent offering from a great band. I think it's the guitar work that really makes this song.

Selling My Soul is all about the guitar work. Which sort of explains my issue with the two studio albums the whole way around. Black Sabbath songs always use to sound like band created gems, that were molded by a well formed unit. Even if that wasn't the case, that's at least how it sounded. That's not what happens on these songs. Instead they sound like Ozzy, The Guitarist, and the rest of the band. In other words it sounds like solo work from two great egos. It's understandable why Bill Ward had some issues going in to this new album that will be finally be coming out some time in the near future.

If you love Black Sabbath, as well as live albums, this is a must. If you are just a Sabbath fan, you may still want this album. If you are in to live albums, this album isn't anything special or unique. It sounds pretty note for note to the originals.

7/10 - content

7/10 - production

7/10 - personal bias

No comments:

Post a Comment