Friday, February 15, 2013

Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden

There are some CDs that I love for the music. There are some CDs I love because of my life experiences assosciated with it. Then there are some CDs that are just mind blowing. Iron Maiden's debut album fits in all of the above. In fact this album is so amazing that I used it to turn Punk fans onto Iron Maiden. Which I'm sure Steve Harris would hate to hear.

Of all of Maiden's albums this one is my favourite, which is really odd since it's missing my two favourite members, Bruce Dickinson and Adrian Smith. The official line up for this album is Paul Di'Anno (lead vocals), Dave Murray (guitar), Dennis Stratton (guitar, backing vocals), Steve Harris (bass guitar, backing vocals), and Clive Burr (drums).

I'm not sure entirely what it is that I love about this album so much, but I can narrow it down to three things. It's raw, honest, and one hell of a fast rockin' album. I think one of the reasons this album is often associated with Punk, is due to the rawness, and the speed, but the talent on this album is way too high to be mixed in with the likes of The Sex Pistols, or other British Punk. However, calling this a fast Rock album would be fine.

The album opens with Prowler, which right away sucks you in. The guitars come blazing out, and Paul Di' Anno just starts going to town with his high pitched vocal shredding. Now even though the guitars sound a bit off at the start, by the time it hits the 2:00 marker the full on wild soloing casts and doubts aside.

I should say that my review for this album is based on the older non-remastered copy, which means the production is a bit thin and could sound better.

I know there are a lot of people that dig Remember Tomorrow, and I totally understand why. Steve Harris' bass work is mesmerizing, and the heavy parts are really heavy. Even Paul's vocals are mysteriously captivating. However, in the grand scheme of the New Wave Of British Heavy Metal, this song is very standard at least as far as I'm concerned.

My absolute favourite Iron Maiden song is Running Free, and only the version from this album. I have yet to hear a live version that has the same feel, vibe or sound as this studio version does. Which really sucks, because i would love to yank Paul's vocal line out of here and stick in Bruce performing it instead. As to why this is my favourite. The first part is the crazy ass drum line, then the guitar work, and finally the lyrics hit home when I first heard this song. They capture what I was looking for so much at the time. "Just Sixteen A Pickup Truck / Out Of Money Out Of Luck / I Got No Place To Call My Own / Hit The Gas And Here I Go / I'm Running Free Yeah, I'm Running Free / I'm Running Free Yeah, I'm Running Free / Spend The Night In L.I Jail / Listen To The Sirens Wail / But They Aint Got A Thing Of Me / I'm Running Wild I'm Running Free / I'm Running Free Yeah, I'm Running Free / I'm Running Free Yeah, I'm Running Free / Pulled Her At The Bottle Top / Whiskey Dancing Disco Hop / And All The Boys Are After Me / And That's The Way It's Gonna Be / I'm Running Free Yeah, I'm running Free / I'm Running Free Yeah, I'm running Free". I would also like to point out that it was this song I used to turn my buddy Ian on to Maiden, and at the time he was the bassist in my high school's biggest Punk band.

Next up is Phantom Of The Opera. This song is 7:10 of some of the most mind blowing music. This song is truly Metal. The speed and the guitar work are mind blowing. This song contains everything a great epic song needs. There's melody, mind blowing ferocity, build ups, slow downs, and it doesn't feel like it's anywhere near it's actual length.

Next up is the instrumental piece Transylvania. This song is amazing. I mean it can alter your whole perspective on Iron Maiden and music all together. If you don't know this song go on youtube and listen to it, and let it take you away. This is more than just music, this is artistic expression.

Strange World is the most mellow song on the album. It's not a ballad, as most people would think of a ballad. It's more like Metallica's Fade To Black or Welcome Home (Sanitarium). It's a slower number that just takes you away on a journey of the mind. The only song on this album that I have little to no use for is Sanctuary, and that's only because it sounds way too much like the bands name sake song. It's the least imaginative song on the album as far as I'm concerned. However, it is still one hell of a great song, especially if you love Iron Maiden.

"Giving a swish with your arse in the air, / Don't you know what they're saying? / Charlotte you're so refined / When you take all the love that they're giving. / Sticking with every man that you find, / Don't you know what they're after? / Charlotte you've got your legs in the air, / Don't you hear all the laughter? / Charlotte the harlot show me your legs, / Charlotte the harlot take me to bed. / Charlotte the harlot let me see blood, / Charlotte the harlot let me see love. / Taking so many men to your room, / Don't you feel no remorse? / You charge them a fiver, / It's only for starters. / And ten for the main course. / And you've got no feelings, / They died long ago. / Don't you care who you let in? / And don't you know you're breaking / The law with the service you're giving. / There was a time when you left me standing there, / Picking up pieces of love off the floor. / Well charlotte you left me alone in there, / To make your ends as a bloody whore. / Well charlotte you told me you love me true, / Picking up pieces of love yesterday. / Well charlotte you're draws are off color too / 'cause you're making love all day. / Giving a swish with your arse in the air, / Don't you know what they're saying? / Charlotte you're so refined when / You take all the love that they're giving. / Sticking with every man that you find, / Don't you know what they're after? / Charlotte you've got your legs in the air, / Don't you hear all the laughter?" These lyrics belong to one of the few songs penned by Dave Murray over Iron Maiden's illustrious, thirty plus year career. I've heard a lot of smack talked about this song over the years, but keep in mind that this song inspired at least one other Maiden song, possibly two depending on who you ask. Those songs being 22 Acacia Avenue, and another favourite of mine From Here To Eternity.

I've been lucky to see Iron Maiden live once, and the greatest part about seeing them live is watching them end the show with the last song from this album. It's the album's title track, and the bands name sake. Iron Maiden opens with dueling guitars and just keeps going up hill from there. The best part about this song, is it has nothing to do with the band itself. "Won't you come into my room, I wanna show you all my wares. / I just want to see your blood, I just want to stand and stare. / See the blood begin to flow as it falls upon the floor. / Iron Maiden can't be fought, Iron Maiden can't be sought. / Oh Well, wherever, wherever you are, / Iron Maiden's gonna get you, no matter how far. / See the blood flow watching it shed up above my head. / Iron Maiden wants you for dead. / Won't you come into my room, I wanna show you all my wares. / I just want to see your blood, I just want to stand and stare. / See the blood begin to flow as it falls upon the floor. / Iron Maiden can't be fought, Iron Maiden can't be sought. / Oh Well, wherever, wherever you are, / Iron Maiden's gonna get you, no matter how far. / See the blood flow watching it shed up above my head. / Iron Maiden wants you for dead. If this song doesn't get you off, you have no music in your soul. This song has something for everyone in it's 3:34 of pure raw musical brilliance that finishes the album perfectly.

The only downside to this album in my opinion is the production. Part of that comes from the time period in which this album was recorded. Part of it comes from the amount of money the band had when they recorded it. However, I suggest you overlook the sound, which isn't really that bad, and throw this baby on full blast. I would also suggest getting the digitally remastered copy as well.

10/10 - content

6/10 - production

10/10 - personal bias

No comments:

Post a Comment