Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Bon Jovi - New Jersey

In my house there are three Bon Jovi CD's. I've already reviewed Slippery When Wet, which is an okay album, but nothing special. Especially since I think the second half of the album is pretty much all filler. On the other hand New Jersey is a really good album. The other album is a live one I'll eventually get to as well.

The album opens with Lay Your Hands On Me, which is your pretty standard Bon Jovi track, but it's a great opener. As long as you are able to overlook the fact that it sounds like it's going to be a real heavy song when the intro starts up, and quickly turns into a basic straight foward rocker. Am I bitching about it being a normal Rock song? Hell no. This song has some boogie, and a great postive vibe, as Ritchie Sambora's solo is pretty decent, if not a little short.

That's followed up by my favourite Bon Jovi song, Bad Medicine. "Your love is like bad medicine / Bad medicine is what I need, oh oh, oh / Shake it up, just like bad medicine / There ain't no doctor that can cure my disease / Bad medicine / I ain't got a fever got a permanent disease / And it'll take more than a doctor to prescribe a remedy / And I got lots of money, but it isn't what I need / Gonna take more than a shot to get this poison out of me / And I got all the symptoms count 'em 1, 2, 3 / First you need / (That's what you get for falling in love) / Then you bleed / (You get a little and it's never enough) / And when you're on your knees / (That's what you get for falling in love) / Now this boy's addicted cause your kiss is the drug, oh, oh, oh / Your love is like bad medicine / Bad medicine is what I need, oh, oh, oh / Shake it up, just like bad medicine / There ain't no doctor that can cure my disease / Bad, bad medicine / I don't need no needle / To be giving me a thrill / And I don't need no anesthesia / Or a nurse to bring a pill / I got a dirty down addiction / That doesn't leave a track / I got a jones for your affection / Like a monkey on my back / There ain't no paramedic / Gonna save this heart attack / When you need / (That's what you get for falling in love) / Then you bleed / (You get a little and it's never enough) / And when you're on your knees / (That's what you get for falling in love) / Now this boy's addicted cause your kiss is the drug, oh, oh, oh / Your love is like bad medicine / Bad medicine is what I need, oh, oh, oh / Shake it up, just like bad medicine / So let's play doctor, baby cure my disease / Bad, bad medicine / Is what I want / Bad, bad medicine / Oh, I need". Then it's time for another short but cool solo, then back tot he lyrics. "I need a respirator cause I'm running out of breath / Well you're an all night generator wrapped is stockings and a dress / When you find your medicine you take what you can get / Cause if there's something better baby well they haven't found it yet / Oh, oh, oh / Your love is like bad medicine / Bad medicine is what I need, oh, oh, oh / Shake it up, just like bad medicine / There ain't no doctor that can cure my disease / Your love, bad medicine / Bad medicine is what I need, oh, oh, oh / Shake it up, just like bad medicine / Your love's the potion that can cure my disease / Bad, bad medicine / Is what I want / Bad, bad medicine / Who's bad, who's bad / (Bad, bad medicine) / I got it, oh, I got it / I got it, oh, I got it / I got it, I got it, I got it / Do it again / Wait a minute, wait a minute, hold on / I'm not done, one more time with feeling / C'mon, alright, help me out now / Your love is like bad medicine / Bad medicine is what I need, oh, oh, oh / Shake it up, just like bad medicine / You got the potion that can cure my disease / Your love, bad medicine / Your kiss is what I need / Your love, bad medicine..." Sure the lyrics are a little repetitive, but every guy knows what it's like to be dealing with bad medicine, and every guy craves it. This song just hits home in a way that's pure and honest.

I don't mind Born To Be My Baby, but it's not one of those songs that I go out of my way to listen to. It's one of those songs that's a little too Hair Spray Rock for me. I can only support the abuse of the word "baby" so much before it enters the cheap and cheesy range, which this song does.

Living In Sin is pretty much a continuation of the last song, just a little slower, and with a long guitar solo. In fact my favourite part about this album is that Ritchie is getting so much solo time. I find all the solos are cut too short, and Jon get's to sing too much, but it's still a huge step up from Slippery When Wet.

Blood On Blood picks the pace back up, and is pretty enjoyable. This is one of those songs that sounds very Midwest, and would be at home with the likes of Mellencamp, Springsteen, or Seger. Which is pretty complimentary if you are into those artists.

Hombound Train I find to be a bit of a filler when listening to the album as a whole, but on it's own in a mix is really enjoyable.

The album finally gets to a ballad-like song with Wild Is The Wind. "I tried to make you happy / Lord knows I tried so hard to be / What you hoped that I would be / I gave you what you wanted / God couldn't give you what you need / You wanted more from me / Than I could ever be / You wanted heart and soul / But you didn't know, baby / Wild, wild is the wind / That takes me away from you / Cold is the night without your love / To see me through / Wild, wild is the wind / That blows through my heart / Wild is the wind, / Wild is the wind / You got to understand, baby / Wild is the wind / You need someone to hold you / Somebody to be there night and day / Someone to kiss your fears away / I just went on pretending / Too weak, too proud, too tough to say / I couldn't be the one / To make your dreams come true / That's why I had to run / Though I needed you, baby / Wild, wild is the wind / That takes me away from you / Cold is the night without your love / To see me through, baby / Wild, wild is the wind / That blows through my heart tonight / That tears us apart / Wild is the wind, / Wild is the wind / You got to understand, baby / Wild is the wind / Maybe a better man / Would live and die for you / Baby, a better man would / Never say goodbye to you / Wild, wild is the wind / That takes me away from you / Cold is the night without your love / To see me through, baby / Wild, wild is the wind / That blows through my heart tonight / That tears us apart / Wild is the wind, / Wild is the wind / You got to understand, baby / Wild is the wind". I don't mind this one so much, with the exception of the "baby" abuse. I also enjoy the fact that it's a mellower song, but not a full on ballad. It's more like Free Bird in it's delivery, but let me be very clear this song is not Free Bird.

Ride Cowboy Ride is the shortest song on the album at 1:25. I'm not sure why this song is even on here. It really doesn't do anything for the album, or me. It's pretty much nothing more than an extended intro to Stick To Your Guns, which really isn't needed.

As for the song Stick To Your Guns, it's a cowboy themed love song. I'm not a fan, but I have certain friends that I'm sure love this song to pieces, and that's cool. I get why people like this song, I'm just not big on whiney romantic songs. However, Ritchie once again lays down a cool, but short solo.

I've never been able to figure out why Bon Jovi clusters all their ballads together on the second half of an album. Part of me thinks it's a good idea, because that means they are easier to skip, but on the other hand it bugs the shit out of me. By the time I'll Be There For You kicks in, I'm already ready to turn it off, because I just went through a slow song that I have little or no use for and now I'm getting hit with another. This one is even more mushy and pathetic than the last, and I can't even excuse Pat's liking of this song, I don't care how many women this song has helped you land.

I'm very thankful for the return to the upbeat Rock with 99 In The Shade, but sadly it's a very stock song. I don't mind it while it plays, but it's not a song I would listen to on my own.

The album finishes with Love For Sale. I really dig this song, and the fact that the band dared to show some humour on their album. It's a pretty fun, and basic song for the most part, but it's just really fun.

For the most part I would say that this album is pretty damn good. It's not for everyone, but it is the best original studio album that Bon Jovi has ever released. But then again, when you have Bruce Fairbairn as a producer and Bob Rock as the engineer and mixer your really can't go wrong.

8/10 - content

8/10 - production

7/10 - personal bias

No comments:

Post a Comment