Friday, January 18, 2013

The Beatles - Let It Be... Naked

I don't own the original version of this album, so I can't do a point by point conparision between the two. I can say that I totally dig this release, and I like what I hear differently from the original releases that I do know.

I'm not even sure how to really get into this review, so I'm just going to dive straight into the songs, and we'll see where this goes.

The first thing you notice with Get Back, which kicks off the album, is the sound quality. You can tell this is all remastered, and it's been done so well you can feel the ambience of the room in which it was recorded. It's interesting how clean and clear each instrument and note is. You'd swear that this entire track was recorded in one take right off the floor for the demo.

Stripped back is the best word to describe this album. I remember making demo tapes that had sound like you hear on this album. That's not to knock this album's production. It's just that you can hear when a bunch of guys are working off each other and there's an open room vibe. It has the sound of a group of guys that just want to get together, make some music, and then move on to make more music.

Dig A Pony is one of the better examples of this. But in the case of Dig A Pony it was worth playing more than once.

I can't say the same thing about For You Blue. This is one of those fun off the floor screw around songs that's meant exclusively for the fans. Odd too considering it's a Harrison song, and I normally really fancy those.

I don't care for The Long And Winding Road. To me this sounds like the direction that Paul wanted to take, and eventually did, and very much not what Harrison was interested in. On the other hand, what do I know based on the last song.

I enjoy the fun and bouncy atmosphere of Two Of Us. You can hear they are indoors, but you'd almost think they had an old Southern American front porch built in the studio for them to play on.

I guess I should mention that I tend to be very finicky about my Beatles. I'm not a Fan, but I really do enjoy The Beatles. Which is why I know I don't care for some of the songs on here.

I do like I've Got A Feeling. It sounds strong and tight. It's like a magical jam was caught and preserved. I just find this song so damn cool, and it's been on my Mp3 player a few times over the years. I also find Paul's bass line to be very mesmerising.

One After 909 sounds too much like the bands early material for my liking. I find that this song helps cement the idea in my head that the stripped down, pulled back nature of Let It Be... Naked makes it sound very much like a British Blues album. Well, The Beatles version of one.

Don't Let Me Down has always sounded like an end of the night drunken slur between brothers from different mothers. If not drunken, possibly some trippy downers that make them sound pie eyed, but still slightly love lorne.

I Me Mine is wicked cool. I like when George is allowed to really play guitar. It's not like he's a guitar God, but he understands the instrument and what it can really do. He didn't view it as merely a tool to help keep the melody.

I simply don't care for Across The Universe. I find it annoying and it drives me up the wall. I have never heard a version I care for. I don't mind the lyrics so much, but mixed with the music I find it distasteful in an overly sweet way. I do like the weird noise I can hear in the background, but only with the headphones on. It's a nifty reverb related effect.

The album finishes with Let It Be. I love this song, I've always found it very strong and powerful. This stripped back version is no different. The only difference is it sounds like it was recorded in church on Saturday afternoon, as the ministry get's ready for the Saturday Night services. It's because of songs like this I believe in Heaven and Hell. It allows me to feel so much love, and to live without it would be hell.

This is a cool album, as a collector. I can say that the songs I don't care for, I either don't like when I hear them normally, or wouldn't like on the original album. I do however like the concept behind this reissue. I love the stripped back, and underproduced sound. I love that everything is clear, and distinct, plus well balanced. I love that it sounds like the room they were in. I love how it sounds like a group of musicians that just wanted to lay down some tracks together, and so they did.

7/10 - content

9/10 - production

8/10 - personal bias

No comments:

Post a Comment