Friday, January 25, 2013

Resevoir Dogs - Original Motion Picture Soundtrack

There are three distinct memories that come to mind when I think about Resevoir Dogs. The first is how I kept falling asleep trying to stay up and watch this movie when it came out on TMN. It may have still been First Choice back then even. Either way, the movie was never on before midnight, and normally it was Saturday Nights while I was at my Dad's. Which meant that I would usually fall asleep by the time we get to Mr. Blonde's back story.

The second memory is a friend, George, having to act this one out during a came of cherades. By the time he finished his turn he was humorously laughing and pops up with, "Resevoir Dogs, great movie, lousy fucking title." This is after twenty seconds of acting out doggy style, and making hand motions to try and show a resevoir.

The third story involves me falling in love with a song during one of the sickest scenes I've ever seen in a movie. When you think of the mindset of Mr. Blonde during his big dance number, he is truly one sick fuck. However, right after I saw this movie for the first time the whole way through I got into my Uncle Greg's record collection and found a copy on a vinyl collection of Pop hits. It was magical. As for the sountrack itself, I love it. It's been a favourite, hidden gem, of mine since I picked it up. I know you can find it in bargain bins everywhere, and if you do you should pick it up. The mix of odd eccentric Pop tracks from the 70's song remakes, and a little country, plus sound bites from the movie are totally awesome.

A lot of the sound bites on this album are snippets from the radio DJ you can hear throughout the movie. It works perfectly in this mix, because it makes the album seem like more of an album, less of a soundtrack.

And Now Little Green Bag... gives a little historical insight into the song that follows, which is Little Green Bag. This is a song that I love. You can get down and boogie to this number and happily shake your money maker. I can picture my buddy Grayson "mowing the lawn" to this one.

Rock Flock Of Five is another radio exert, but this one has nothing to do with the next song, Hooked On A Feeling. Most people think of that dancing baby when they hear this song, but I knew it from this movie first. For the most part this song is fun and okay, but it's not a song I would listen to on my own for no reason.

I love Bohemiath. It's a great radio clip. I even throw it on my Mp3 player for fun from time to time.

That leads into I Gotcha, which is fun for camp value, and I will get down to this one at home when it comes on the CD player.

One of the couple time this album plays back to back music tracks is going from I Gotcha to Magic Carpet Ride. This is not the original by Steppenwolf. This version was done by Bedlam, and it's different from the original, but yet very faithful. Once the song kicks in it's totally Magic Carpet Ride, but it takes a bit to get there. This cover has an entended opening. For me this song has always been about the lyrics. It's a song I would want to cover myself just for that reason. "I like to dream, yes, yes / Right between the sound machine / On a cloud of sound I drift in the night / Any place it goes is right / Goes far, flies near / To the stars away from here / Well, you don't know what / We can find / Why don't you come with me little girl / On a magic carpet ride / Well, you don't know what / We can see / Why don't you tell your dreams to me / Fantasy will set you free / Close your eyes now / Look inside now / Let the sound / Take you away / Last night I hold Aladdin's lamp / So I wished that I could stay / Before the thing could answer me / Well, someone came and took the lamp away / I looked / Around / A lousy candle's all I found / Well, you don't know what / We can find / Why don't you come with me little girl / On a magic carpet ride / Well, you don't know what / We can see / Why don't you tell your dreams to me / Fantasy will set you free". I also understand the words are a bit repetitive, but the music makes up for that. I don't think this version is as good as the original, but it's close.

I think that the Madonna Speech is one of the best pieces or scripted dialogue, and Quinten Terentino's intense delivery is fantastic.

Fool For Love is one of those country songs that my grandma (mom's mom) would listen to, even my mom. Not because it's whiney girl country, but because it's softer, and yet still enjoyable. Lyrically, it's a bit of a downer. Musically, it's rather upbeat sounding.

Super Sounds is the perfect intro to Stuck In The Middle With You. I learned a ton about this song, just from hearing the intro. The song itself is great. Sure the famous movie scene I mentioned earlier in review is praticially why I like this song so much, but that's fine. The song on its own is fantastic and totally kick ass musically. The duo guitar soloing is really worth the listen as well.

Harvest Moon is another country track. I do like the song for what it is, but I'm just not big on the style as a whole.

Let's Get A Taco is another great bit of dialogue from the movie. It's Harvey Keitel explaining how to deal with resistence during a robbery.

Keep On Truckin' is just another radio clip. This leads to Coconut. I'll never forget the first time I heard this song, which was in this movie. I can't take it seriously, but at the same time it's still a really neat piece. It's almost a live musician Techno (or something like that) track. I really enjoy this number in the Bubble Gum Pop fun upbeat sense of the song. Outside of the relation to this movie I have little or no use for this song. It's not a track that ever makes the Mp3 player. The album finishes with the track Home Of Rock. "K-BI-LL-Y home of rock." A nice simple closing.

I like that this soundtrack includes a diverse assortment of music. If every track was like Little Green Bag or Harvest Moon, this album would be ass. However, having a couple tracks that represent a few varities of music is really cool.

The movie audio tracks are what helps really make the album for me. Let's Get A Taco and Madonna Speech have both spent time on my Mp3 player. Of all the tracks on this album Stuck In The Middle With You has gotten the most play.

This is an album for people that like albums. I would really love to get a copy of this soundtrack on vinyl, just to for the full artistic beauty of it.

My only bitch about this album is sound quality. Digital remastering would be better for the CD release.

7/10 - content

6/10 - production

8/10 - personal bias

No comments:

Post a Comment