Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Armageddon - The Album

There are some albums that you only buy because you get swept up in the hype and padamonium. I'm usually pretty good at avoiding those albums, but that's not the case with Armageddon. The soundtrack to the blockbuster movie starring Bruce Willis, and Steven Tyler's daughter was so over hyped that it's one of the few albums that both Andria and I owned when we moved in together. That's only saying something, because Andria didn't buy herself many albums prior to my influence on such manners.

Now, I have nothing against Liv Tyler, and I think she was decent in Lord Of The Rings and other movies I've seen her in, but she was mainly in this movie, so they could get Aerosmith songs for the soundtrack.

I don't remember the last time I listened to this CD of my own choice, and I can't even recall the last time Andria put it in the CD player, but I would say that it's been a few years and it's easy to see why. At least on my end.

The album opens with I Don't Want To Miss A Thing. A song one second short of being a five minute shitfest. I loathe Aerosmith for doing this song, and I hate how overplayed it was. It's a crappy over produced ballad, and nothing more. It's atypical dribble from a band capable of much better music.

There's a track on here by Journey, with Steve Auger performing the vocals. It's called Remember Me and it's totally forgetable. It's totally dated and sounds like a leftover from the band's popular days, that was recorded with modern technology. Well modern as of 1998. Also no need for this song to be 5:30. Way too long.

Next is Aerosmith track two of four on this soundtrack. While everyone was drooling all over the previously mentioned steaming turd, I was digging on What Kind Of Love Are You On. Listening to it now, I find it a bit silly. It's Aerosmith trying to catch that edge of Industrial that they can use with their own music. It's okay, but not something I would feel to listen to anymore in this day and age. That's followed by ZZ Top's La Grange. It's a great tune I've covered enough in other reviews. It's also the first track on here that I actually would want to listen to.

I've never been a fan of Bob Seger, with or without The Silver Bullet Band. I'm cool with Mid-West Rock, but not a fan generally. Roll Me Away doesn't help the cause in anyway.

I have no clue who Shawn Colvin is, or how When The Rainbow Comes ended up on this album, but I'm pretty sure oral sex was involved at a bare minimum.

Next is Aerosmith's Sweet Emotion. I've covered this one enough in past reviews. I have a love/hate relationship with Bon Jovi. Mister Big Time doesn't help the Jersey band's argument. This is one of those tracks that sounds wrong just based on how they were trying to make the band sound.

Aerosmith's cover of Come Together finishes up the tracks supplied by the Boston quintent. It's a great track, and I love it. If I didn't have it on other, better albums, It would be a saving grace to this one.

Patty Smyth's Wish I Were You isn't my kind of song, and it does nothing for this CD.

I know tons of people that are fans of Starseed by Canadian Alt rockers Our Lady Peace. Even I will say this is one of their better songs. I'm not a fan, but I can dig this tune.

Chantal Kreviazuk provides a sweet (as in sugary) cover of Leaving On A Jet Plane. It's a nice tune, and I won't knock it.

The theme from Armageddon is okay. It's pretty typical for one of these kinds of movies.

The album finishes with Animal Crackers. The vocals are performed by Steven Tyler and contain exerts from the movie spoken by Ben Affleck and Liv Tyler. This is pretty much a cheap ass promotion piece. It serves no real purpose to this album other than to ilicit cheap heartstring pulls.

All in all the album sucks. Don't buy it.

3/10 - content

7/10 - production

2/10 - personal bias

No comments:

Post a Comment