Friday, November 2, 2012

Marilyn Manson - Lest We Forget, The Best Of

Once upon a time best of albums, or greatest hits packages marked the end of a career, and often were used to fill out record obligations. Lest We Forget marks the end of Manson's prime years.

The album opens with The Love Song. As I've said before, this song is only Manson going off about being accused of being responsible for the Columbine massacre, because of his music. So, we are treated to Marilyn yelling "Do you love your guns?!" at the top of his screaming ability.

After that it's on to the only song recorded for this album, Personal Jesus. This is a really fun song, and I even liked the original by Depeche Mode. However, I like this version better. The vibe and feel are just perfect.

Next up is mOBSCENE, which was the only song I could honestly stand off the album of the same name. I pretty much consider this Manson's last good original song. I haven't heard anything that's impressed me since.

The Fight Song is the first original song on this collection that I actually think should be on this album. It's a great song, with lots of energy and bounce. It's the type of song that clearly has strong roots in Rock. Also, how can you argue with a song that was meant to make you want to go out and kick some ass.

It's on to another cover with Tainted Love. This track was originally on the Not Another Teen Movie soundtrack, and I was so happy to see it end up on this collection. It's a totally bitchin' cover and so well done. I think it's probably the best cover this band, with it's now infinite number of former members, has ever done.

I'm not sure if the Dope Show is my favourite Marilyn Manson song, but it's in the top three for sure. It's not overly complicated, but I'm pretty sure that's the point. After all, nothing in the world of celebrity is complicated except staying on the cover of the magazines. "The drugs they say make us feel so hollow / We love in vain narcissistic and so shallow / The cops and queers to swim you have to swallow / Hate today, no love for tomorrow / We're all stars now in the dope show / We're all stars now in the dope show / There's a lot of pretty, pretty ones / That want to get you high / But all the pretty, pretty ones / Will leave you low and blow your mind / We're all stars now in the dope show / We're all stars now in the dope show / They love you when you're on all the covers / When you're not then they love another / They love you when you're on all the covers / When you're not then they love another".

I have no use fo This Is the New Shit. It was pretty much Manson's last stab at trying to stay relevant in a world that was making it clear that they were growing bored of his antics. Some artists suffer from what I call Ziggy Startdust syndrome, and this song was the last defining moment before I think Manson the artist totally got sucked up into his mind.

I remember the first time I heard Disposable Teens. I was thinking that Manson had hit his stride, and that the album this track originally came from was going to be the last good album. Glad he didn't prove me wrong. This song is a bit of a stock track when put up against songs like The Fight Song and The Love Song. Both of those songs are on here, as well as on the original studio album Holywood. I like this song all the same, and it makes my head still bang even as I write this, but still a stock track.

Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This) was the first track that gave me major exposure to Manson. Most people I know bought Portrait Of An American Family and Smells Like Children at almost the same time, and that goes for me too. Although, I bought the albums later in Manson's career. But this was the song that made him a house hold name, and I have to say that I still find it "meh."

Lunchbox is a song that grew on me, especially when I went into my angry phase. "On we plow / The big bully try to stick his finger in my chest / Try to tell me, tell me he's the best / But I don't really give a good goddamn cause / I got my lunchbox and I'm armed real well / I got my lunchbox and I'm armed real well / I got my lunchbox and I'm armed real well / I wanna grow up / I wanna be a big rock and roll star / I wanna grow up / I wanna be / So no one fucks with me / I got the pencils in my pocket, try to put me down / Wanna go out, gotta get out / To the playground, gonna throw down at the playground / I wanna go out / Next motherfucker gonna get my metal / Next motherfucker gonna get my metal / Next motherfucker gonna get my metal". It's just so angry, but it's honest, and he made it true. People still fucked with him, but he fucked back.

There is one album I don't own that was released prior to this best of package, Antichrist Superstar. It's a very boringly typical Trent Reznor wannabe album. I put a lot of that blame on Reznor, since he produced the album. This song I find totally boring, and really wish it had been left off, eventough it was a single.

Rock Is Dead is one of the most high octane songs off my favourite album, Mechanical Animals. This song is so David Bowie meets Trent Reznor meets Alice Cooper. You can hear the Glam of Bowie proclaiming that "rock is dead". The drums and production edge of a heavy Reznor track. Then there's that sadistic snear you can hear, that is totally Alice. It's a beautiful piece as far as I'm concerned.

I was never a fan of Get Your Gunn. I don't care how anyone tries to rationalize it to me. For the most part, this song is saying to use a gun to fix your nasty situation. Not a mentality I condone, but I do understand when it has to be done. I covered The Nobodies pretty well in my review for Holywood. It's a simple track, but a really good one, as far as I'm concerned.

I love Long Hard Road Out Of Hell. The very first Manson anything I can remember buying is Mechanical Animals, but I bought this single (for the Spawn soundtrack) around the same time. There's a chance I had this single first, I can't be sure. However, I love this song. It just gets the heart pumping, and gives you the perfect cool downs. I love it for riding my bike. It's been a standard on my Mp3 player, since I've had one able to hold more than a hundred songs.

There is only one song I flat out like from the Antichrist album, and that is The Beautiful People. This song is bad ass, and the production on it is top notch. This song was a call to arms, back when the Freaks were still figuring out what there was left to be pierced and tattooed, and a whole new generation was already piercing it. This song is one of Manson's few tracks I would call Metal.

I have no use for The Reflecting God, and I'm annoyed it's used as the closing track to this collection. This is one of those songs that helps prove parents (parental units) argument of "It's nothing but a bunch of screaming." The worst part is that songs like Dope Hat, Cake And Sodomy, Snake Eyes And Sissies, I Don't Like The Drugs (But The Drug Like Me), Coma White, and The Death Song were left out. It really annoys me. Also, I find this song tends to give me a headache.

If I had been the one putting this collection together, I would have altered the track listing. For Starters the only song from Antichrist would have been The Beatutiful People. Also, I more than likely would have switched out Get You Gunn as well.

Lest We Forget is a good introduction to Manson's career, as well as a decent enough collection that contains three tracks that can't easily be found. Would I suggest it for people to buy? For sure! There's also a DVD with the video collection. That made it totally worth buying when it came out. If you can still get the two disc combo, I think it makes it worth it now too. If you can only get the CD, then it all depends on how bad you want Personal Jesus, Tainted Love and Long Hard Road Out Of Hell. The rest of the songs can easily be found on the studio albums, which are all cool. Except for Antichrist, and mOBSCENE, which I think are pretty crappy.

7/10 - content

7/10 - production

6/10 - personal bias

No comments:

Post a Comment