Friday, October 26, 2012

Priestess - Hello Master

This is going to read like a pretty quick review, but that just due to the album having such a quick feel to it. Of the twelve tracks that make up this album, only two of them are more than three and half minutes.

Also, this album is one crazy Rock N' Roll audio show. I was actually lucky enough to see the band when they were touring promoting this album and even got to meet them. They're a great bunch of guys that just were able to write some great music. Their term was "Camero Rock".

I am The Night, Colour Me Black is one heavy, high aggression, lead off track. I mean this song is head pounding against the wall angst, all wrapped up in a wicked little tune.

I totally love Lay Down, and am still impressed that it made it on to Guitar Hero III. Not bad for a Canadian band's first album.

My favourite song on this album is also the song that introduced me to the band from Quebec. Run Home is a great song with a simple beat, and a great attitude. I also love the chorus, and how I always enjoy singing it wrong. The line goes, "Run home, I'm gone", but I swear that it sounds like "Run home, asshole". Which does work within the context of the song, sorta. This is one of those songs that I'll be listening to for years to come with the same enjoyment.

The shortest song on the album is Two Kids. This is another great simple song. It seems very Ramones influenced musically. Lyrically it cuts pretty close to the bone. "Two kids found dead in the water / Beside each other / I don’t think they drowned / Ring up the mother and father / From the gutter / They didn’t want kids around / Hell no I ain’t on your side / But I’m sticking around until I die / Feeling bad ‘cause they bought her and sold her / To the order / Of caring takes too much time / If you want some weight on your shoulders / Create a border / I'd rather be blind". Talk To Her has a great bounce. To be honest this is a complete get it on song, with it's groove. You could rip this one out at the club and totally get your moves on. It's a real killer track.

The longest song on the album is Time Will Cut You Down. This is one of those slow, and slick tracks. It has a vibe that reminds me of AC/DC's Night Prowler. There aren't many lyrics in the song that runs 5:05, "That face I saw and thought of love is gone / And if you thought you'd end on top / You're wrong / You'll realize when I'm standing over you / Time will cut you down / Time will steer your path from your precious dreams / And I won't be around / No souvenirs or guilty tears / Or anything / My trust is lost and it will cost / You everything / There's a lot of lies but I'll tell you one thing that's true", cool guitar solo, "Make no mistake, the hearts you break / Grow strong / I know this shame will bring you pain / So long / I know this memory will haunt you till the end/ Time will cut you down / Time will cut you down / Time will steer your path from your precious dreams / And I won't be around". After that it's some adlibbing with the last line repeated, until fade out. It's that classic Rock approach, and they do it well.

The first song on the album I'm "Meh"about when it comes to is Everything That You Are. It's not a bad track, I just find it a bit typical, from the band at this point. It has a very standard kind of sound to it. There's also a couple of parts in here where the song is intentionally dragged out, but the problem is that it actually makes the song feel longer in a bad way to me. However, I love the small solo tucked into the middle. Just enough to say, "Hey, I can play."

I pretty much feel the same way about The Shakes. It's a cool little filler song. Performance is one of those song that I still can't make my mind up about. Part of me enjoys the song, and the other part wants to call it filler. The problem with this one is that it's just a little bit too weak to be a heavy hitter, and it takes away from the song on the whole. I do love all the little guitar fills and the solid choruses.

Musically, Living Like A Dog, sounds like most of the other songs. The way the vocals are delivered and produced (with a slightly distant echo), that helps makes this track stand out. Also, there's a really cool trippy part that starts around the 1:40ish marker that's really cool. It's almost Floydian.

No Real Pain is the last of the standard Rock tracks on this album. It's another one that you just feel a need to bang your head too. It's a bit basic musically, but it has depth not found on some of the other filler like tracks. Also, it once again has a solo that makes you take some notice.

If memory serves I believe Blood is Andria's favourite song from this album. It's real easy to understand why, it's a fucking fantastic song. "You wanted to take your time with him / You wanted to suck his blood / But before you can rip into his veins / You'd better take the reins / 'Cause he's riding into the sun / Since it's been going on / You know there's something wrong / It all started because / She wants to drain his blood / It's far too late to hesitate / Too hard to part / Just drive it through her heart / 'Cause if you can't / She's got you in her hand / 'Cause he's riding into the sun". The coolest part about this song for me was getting to watch the drummer bash this one out, while singing. It's a real quick to run out of breath doing that on this song, I've tried.

There are only three tracks on this album that I don't care for, and I find they slow down the album a bit, which is why I rate it a bit lower than it should be. Aside from that, I would say this album should be in any Rock fan's collection.

7/10 - content

7/10 - production

8/10 - personal bias

No comments:

Post a Comment