Thursday, September 20, 2012

Ramones - Greatest Hits

Let me start with the levity of this album's name. Greatest Hits implies that all of these songs were some type of successful songs, that made it on to the radio, where they received ample play. That is so funny. This is a Ramones album, which means radio play should never happen, except for college stations. That doesn't mean that these songs never get played on the radio, it just means that it doesn't happen often. Of all the records the Ramones ever released the highest charting album was End Of The Century, and that was number 10 on the Sverigetopplistan (the Swedish national record chart).

That being said, this is definately a "Best of" album. It contains twenty songs that are every real "Big name" Ramones classic you can think of, and even a few you might not think about.

The album opens with the most popular Ramones song of all time, Blitzkrieg Bop. This is not the big fancy radio edit, but the songs have all been remastered so it's all good. I don't feel a need to really get into this song, you should already know it. After that comes Beat On The Brat. "Beat on the brat / Beat on the brat / Beat on the brat with a baseball bat / Oh yeah, oh yeah, uh-oh. / What can you do? / What can you do? / With a brat like that always on your back / What can you do? (lose?)" That's the entire song, and the simple, kind of musically bland, song is just honest and true.

Judy Is A Punk is a very quick 1:32, and it's the shortest song on this collection. To be honest I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to song length, and to me when it's this short it's more of skipping rope song (which it really does sound like) than a Rock song. To me a song should be no shorter than two and a half minutes.

"Hey, little girl / I wanna be your boyfriend / Sweet little girl / I wanna be your boyfriend / Do you love me babe? / What do you say? / Do you love me babe? / What can I say? / Because I wanna be your boyfriend". These lyrics mixed with music that resembles a 1950's high school dance, makes you wonder 'What is Punk really?" So, is I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend a Punk song? Sure it is. You may be able to dance to this one with your baby, but it still has the tension and vibe of a Punk song.

The only thought I really have about Sheena Is A Punk Rocker is "Why did they use Christmas bells in the second half of the chorus?" I shit you not, the second I hear those I seriously think this is a Christmas song everytime. Then five seconds later it's back to basic punk.

Pinhead is one my favourite ramones songs. "Gabba gabba we accept you, we accept you one of us! / Gabba gabba we accept you, we accept you one of us! / I don't wanna be a pinhead no more. I just met a nurse that I could go for. / I don't wanna be a pinhead no more. I just met a nurse that I could go for. / I don't wanna be a pinhead no more. I just met a nurse that I could go for. / I don't wanna be a pinhead no more. I just met a nurse that I could go for. / D-U-M-B / Everyone's accusing me! / D-U-M-B / Everyone's accusing me! / I don't wanna be a pinhead no more. I just met a nurse that I could go for. / I don't wanna be a pinhead no more. I just met a nurse that I could go for. / Gabba gabba hey!" This is pretty much a tip of the hat to the movie Freaks, which is about a travelling sideshow. Musically I find this one of the most kicking suped up Rock songs I have ever heard. I mean good old fasion Rock, no fancy descriptions or titles to help better describe it. I know that Commando isa very popular song by the band. However, it really doesn't do much for me. It's one of those songs that if I'm not paying attention I don't even notice I'm missing it.

I love how 1950's Rock the Ramones really are. A songs like Rockaway Beach could have totally been in movies like Beach Blanket Bingo, Muscle Beach Party, or Bikini Beach, except for the fact that it has that bit of a raw edge.

"We're a happy family / We're a happy family / We're a happy family / Me mom and daddy / Siting here in Queens / Eating refried beans / We're in all the magazines / Gulpin' down thorazines / We ain't got no friends / Our troubles never end / No Christmas cards to send / Daddy likes men / Daddy's telling lies / Baby's eating flies / Mommy's on pills / Baby's got the chills / I'm friends with the President / I'm friends with the Pope / We're all making a fortune / Selling Daddy's dope". Then repeat the lryics in various ways and you have We're A Happy Family, which is a pretty kickin' basic Punk song.

Cretin Hop is one of those songs I don't mind when it plays, but I have no use for it. It's a pretty standard Ramones songs.

Teenage Lobotomy is one of those songs that I can't help but love, but can't offer a decent reason why except that it's just good fun times.

The only Ramones song that may be as popular as Blitzkrieg Bop is I Wanna Be Sedated. I know that it's the song that introduced me to the the Ramones. It's still my favourite song by this band, and I will smile everytime I hear this song. I would cover this song with any band, and sing the fuck out of it. I seriously just love this song.

I Just Want To Have Something To Do has this great, almost creepy vibe to it musically. I'm not exactly sure if it's what they were going for but it really works, and makes the lyrics seem that much more sinister. "Hanging out of Second Avenue / Eating chicken vindaloo / I just want to be with you / I just want to have something to do / Tonight, tonight, tonight,tonight,tonight,tonight / Well allright. / Tonight, tonight, tonight,tonight,tonight,tonight / Wait-Now / Wait-Now / Hanging out all by myself / Cause I don't want to be with anybody else / I just want to be with you / I just want to have something to do / Tonight".

I should mention that when I put the lyrics up, you can kind of take it for granted that certain parts are repeated over and over until the end of the song.

Rock 'N' Roll High School was my first real introduction to the Ramones, and it was thanks to my Aunt Sue bringing a copy over for my sister's twelth birthday. It may have been a bit earlier, but I'm not sure. all I remember is her digging on it, and me shaking my head thinking what the fuck is this shit. In retrospect I love the movie much more now, but still find the song campy as hell.

Baby, I Love You is the most 1950's High School Dance sounding song on this album. It's also the most over produced. There's a string section in this song. Also, the song runs 3:45, and is the longest song on the album. There is not a single Punk thing about this song, but I like and respect it all the same.

Do You Remember Rock 'N' Roll Radio? is another really surprising song musically. Instead of strings, this one has a horn section. It's not done in a Ska style either. It's done in a style that sounds like a rock song with horns. "Will you remember Jerry Lee, / John Lennon, T. Rex and OI Moulty? / It's the end, the end of the 70's / It's the end, the end of the century". I'm pretty sure that last line is where the album title came from, that originally spawned this song.

The KKK Took My Baby Away is a just a fun song that I love singing, and bopping around to.

Outsider it a decent enough song. It doesn't do too much for me, but I don't mind listening to it. It's one of those songs that I find just kind of dissapears in the wood work.

My five favourite Ramones songs are Blitzkrieg Bop, Pinhead, I Wanna Be Sedated, I Just Want Something To Do, and Pet Sematary (<---the albums spelling, not mine). While I admit that the last song on that list is pretty bland by Ramones standards, I love it. First off I like the book that spawned the movie that this song was recorded for. But, when you consider that Stephen King is a huge Ramones fan it's all cool that they performed a song for his movie. Also, I am willing to accept and enjoy the keyboards in this song.

Wart Hog finishes off this collection poorly in my opinion. This is like that atypical bullshit Punk that you expect from bands like Rancid, or Black Flag, or another bunch off the list from the early 80's. Not the type of punk I enjoy, I've never been that kind of aggressive, which is to say brash, rash and spewing trash. All in all this is a pretty good collection of songs, for someone just getting into the Ramones or if you just want to throw on a decent mix. There are a couple of songs I would swap out with other songs not included, but for the most part, this album does what it is supposed to do.

8/10 - content

7/10 - production

7/10 - personal bias

No comments:

Post a Comment