Monday, July 9, 2012

Iron Maiden - Fear Of The Dark

My first real introduction to Iron Maiden came with 1992's Fear Of The Dark. Specifically it came with the video for From Here To Eternity, but we can just summerize it as being the actual album.

In the grand scheme of things this is a good album, but it's very dated. It's very much a period piece, sounding like much of the music coming out of the late 80's early 90's. The lead off track Be Quick Or Be Dead, is a prime example of this. Not to say that it's a bad song, it's very good, just dated.

The second track and my introduction to Maiden, From Here To Eternity, is cheesy on so many levels that make up Metal from that time, with lyrics like "She fell in love with his greasy machine / She leaned over wiped his head / kickstart clean / She'd never seen the beast before / But she left there wanting / more more more / But when she was walking on / down the road / She heard a sound that made / her heart explode / He whispered to her to get on the back / 'I'll take you on a ride / from here to eternity'", but it doesn't matter because this song will get The Drewcifir and I in "the pit" if they play it live at any show we see it at. (Please play it at Bayfest I'm begging!!!) This is also considered the third installment in the Charlotte The Harlot series, and I love a good trilogy. Even if that trilogy is a bit B-Movie.

I'm not sure how much I care for Afraid To Shoot Strangers. It is a fantastic song that is beautifully crafted in that epic Maiden way. I think that's part of the problem I have with the song though. There are two songs on this album that are like that and this is the weaker of the two. But once again I must stress that this is a really good song, I just don't care for it much.

After this point I find that the album gets kind of fillerish. Most of the filler is enjoyable, but it's filler. Some of it is due to song content not doing much for me. Some of it is from the production sounding so 1992, and in a cliche overdone kind of way.

Fear Is the Key was a drone away from sounding like an Alice In Chains song, which just isn't for me. When the song starts going like this it's easy to see why Bruce Dickinson stepped away from the band after this album, which is silly since this was one of his songs. But it's not a Maiden song. That could even be because it was Gers that was the co-writer and his musical expression wasn't working for me.

The next song pretty much continues the same idea I was talking about. It's not so much a little grungy as a little too Power Metally. Childhood's End is pretty much a lot of rapid fire music with textured lyrics. Musically it is a good tune. It's a bit Iron Maiden stock, but still enjoyable.

Wasting Love is once again Dickinson and Gers doing a song that sounded too cliche of it's time. It's a very typical ballad that would sound just at home on a Tesla album. Skip it. It's not even good filler. It's a snoozer, that seems to last way too long.

The next track on the album is a bit of a nice welcome back to classic Iron Maiden. The Fugitive is a bit typical of Harris, but it's one of the better songs in a collection of filler. I enjoy the bit of a jam in the middle as well, instead of the basic solo.

I also enjoy the swinging Chains Of Misery, which was done by Dickinson and Murray (the guitarist with the least number of writing credits?). It's not anything special, but it's good filler. In fact part of me thinks they ripped off Spinal Tap on this one.

The Apparition is more filler. It does nothing for me, so feel free to skip it. However, I suggest you listen to Judas Be My Guide and make up your own mind with that song. I'm still on the fence 20 years later. Weekend Warrior also falls into that same catagory. It's pretty standard Metal for the time, but there's a sense of Detroit Rock in there that catches my attention.

The album finishes with the title track, which is the only song from this album you can guarantee the band will play live. In fact it's always one of the best "crowd" songs on any given night. Fear Of The Dark (the song) is a magnificently crafted epic, that is just beautiful. It takes you on a journey that is full of wonder and intrigue, and of course there is fear. "Have you run your fingers down / The wall / And have you felt your neck skin crawl / When you're searching for the light? / Sometimes when you're scared / To take a look / At the corner of the room / You've sensed that something's / Watching you / Have you ever been alone at night / Thought you heard footsteps behind / And turned around and no one's there? / And as you quicken up your pace / You find it hard to look again / Because you're sure there's / Someone there".

I wouldn't call this a great album, it's barely a decent album. It's an album that is typical. Full of filler and if it weren't for the title track, From Here To Eternity, and maybe a couple choice filler, I would almost consider this album a fail. Not a fail like X-Factor and Virtual XI were, due to experimenting, but a fail in the sense that it was a very basic, boring Maiden album.

5/10 - content

7/10 - production

6/10 - personal bias

No comments:

Post a Comment