Thursday, June 28, 2012

The Raconteurs - Consolers Of The Lonely

I was a fan of The White Stripes when Jack White started his run with The Raconteurs. Broken Boy Soldiers was the first album they released and it was pretty decent. I wasn't as impressed with it as I was with other albums Jack had played on.

When Consolers Of The Lonely was released I picked it up purely on instinct. I was a bit gun shy at first. It's not that I had been let down by the first offering from The Raconteurs, it was that I just hadn't been impressed. However, since Jack White is one of the few current artists that understands 60's and 70's rock mentality I felt that I should give this band a second shot.

Now, I should mention that I don't view The Raconteurs as Jack White's side project from the White Stripes. The band is made up of four very talented musicians, from Detroit (mainly). They are; Jack White – vocals, guitar, keyboards, stylophone, mandolin; Brendan Benson – vocals, guitar, keyboards; Jack Lawrence – bass guitar, banjo, backing vocals; and Patrick Keeler – drums, percussion.

The big difference between todays rock music and music from the "glory day" is lyrical content, and instrumentation. Most bands nowadays keep the songs simple with basic verses and catchy choruses mixed with a few electric instruments (accoustic for ballads) and some basic percussion. Older bands would tell stories with their music, and if it was catchy that was cool, but not necessary. There's not a single rock group that came out after 1980 that use mandolins, banjos, or stylophones.

The album opens up with the title track. It starts off a bit slow with a slight drag, like pulling yourself out of bed after a heavy night of drinking. Then once it finally get's moving, it keeps going slow, but with more consistant momentum. It's a great lead off. It sets an accurate flavour for the album. If you like this one, you should dig the rest.

From there it moves into the album's first single Salute Your Solution. I should mention that if it had not been for hearing this song first, I may not have picked up this album. It's a great fast, upbeat number. A lot of rhythm, since the bass and the drums are pretty much the only thing driving the song, until the guitar solo / mid section instrumentation kicks in.

After that the album slows down a lot. You Don't Understand Me is an ode to being the misunderstood person, or in a couple with someone you can't feel open and honest with. "And there's always another point of view / A better way to do the things we do / And how can you know me / And I know you / If nothing is true". I love the way piano notes dance around the light stop/start swing rhythm, and how it goes into overdrive the second the vocals stop. It's just a well arranged song.

Old Enough picks up the tempo with a song all about wisdom coming from age. It's sort of like listening to your parents tell you, "You don't know anything. Wait 'til you're my age. Then you'll know something." I normally don't care for that attitude, which turns me off this song a bit, even though it's totally true in most cases. This is a good song, though.

The Switch And The Spur is the first real story teller song on this album. It's here at track five that the album really starts to get good. The first four songs were essentially just the band shaking off the ring rust. Lyrically they clearly desided to bury all the good stuff in sections that are normally reserved for album fillers. Lyrically it's essentially the story of that coming dark rider from biblical lore.

The album gets back to a fast rock groove with Hold Up. Most of the song consists of the band singing Hold Up, but the three verses paint a clear image. "Had enough of these, modern times / About to drive me out of my mind / And you know this, too well / I'm hold up in my little cell / Friends took me to a freak show / But I think I've seen it all before / Well, can I get a look at you girl / Maybe take a peak in your world / Modern girl you're so kind / You're gonna help / me get through this time / Well and you know me too well / You didn't break up on; you broke into my prison cell".

The album goes back to it's steady yet slightly slower tempo with Top Yourself. Lyrically it can be taken two ways. It's either about not wanting to help someone commit suicide (or be an audience for them), or about one of those girls that has everything and still needs more just to make her feel special.

There are two songs on this album that totally get me off. Many Shades Of Black is the first one. In the days of vinyl this more than likely would have been the lead off track to the second side, and that would have been perfect. This song is clearly an ode to that disaster relationship you refuse to let die. "Everybody sees / And everyone agrees / That you and I are wrong / And it's been that way too long / So take it as it comes / and be thankful when it's done / There's so many ways to act / and you cannot take it back / no you cannot take it back / there's so many shades of black".

Five On The Five satisfies one essential need to rock songs, is has cow bell. Well that's not really needed, but on this song it's great. This song has a very Ramones meets Bob Dylan sort of feel. It's rapid fire playing with Folk sensibility.

Attention is very much a "Hey baby, I like what I see" song. Still running at the quick pace set by the previous song this one just moves along at it's own pace. It's a bit of a filler that flows into Pull This Blanket Off which is about the same amount of filler. Neither are songs that I feel a need to skip, but I don't feel a need to go out of my way to listen to them either.

The album then comes back with more good story telling on Rich Kid Blues. The song starts off slow and then builds up in a manner that allows the vocals to take the forefront. "Though my good times / Are just paying dues / I've got shoes and money / And good friends too / Though I always play to win / I always seem to lose / That's why I think I got / A rich kid's blues". Jack's trademark disjointed guitar work is also very heavily heard on this song too.

The album gets very accoustic before it ends, with the song These Stones Will Shout. This track would fit into almost any type of bar, except for a Metal bar. There's an edge of familiarity of so many types of music in this one. It starts off Country/Folk and ends with start ahead Rock. very versatile on so many levels.

The album finishes with my other favourite track. Carolina Drama is an epic story of jumping to conclusions and being a bastard child, that has a running time of 5:55. It's the tale of a boy, a priest, a short fused boyfriend and a milk man. That quick summary doesn't even begin to cover the in depth story that plays out to music that sounds a bit Gypsy, a bit Folky, and very much Nashville, without being overtly country. Carolina Drama is the song that makes the album for me, and I couldn't ask for a better closing song.

This album ranks up there with Jethro Tull's Aqualung, Chris De Burgh's Spanish Train, David Bowie's Ziggy Startdust and other story telling albums that aren't heavy. The true beauty of this album is the depth of it lyrically and instrumentally. If you are a music snob, this is an album you should have. If you are into well written records, this is an album you should have. If you are into Folk/Country/Rockabilly or anything that falls within, this is an album you should have. If you are into the Hard and Heavy side of things, I would still check this one out. In fact I did and I loved it.

8/10 - content

10/10 - production

9/10 - personal bias

No comments:

Post a Comment